Why Most Southern Baptists Can't Rightly Divide the Word

      Southern Baptists had their annual convention meeting this past June and one of the questions that was raised related to the office of pastor.  One of the committees asked for more time to actually study the definition of the "office of pastor."  I am not sure how one qualifies to get on a SBC committee, but I would hope that one would have a basic understanding of Bible terms before even being considered for a committee position.  

     It is obvious to me from reading about what went on at the SBC convention that many members of the SBC are Biblically illiterate, and this is putting it mildly.  After salvation a believer is commanded to study and rightly divide the Bible.  If the SBC can't define the office of a pastor after all of these years of being in existence (since 1845), then it will never be able to rightly divide the Bible. 

     What I read from many in the SBC is that they are only interested in getting out the "gospel," and just prefer not to address what they call secondary issues such as women pastors, speaking in tongues, Calvinism, etc.  I would like to know the SBC's definition of the gospel.  I would like for someone to do a survey of different SBC pastors and actually ask what is the "gospel?" I am not a prophet, but if I were a betting man I would wager that you would get several different definitions of the "gospel."

     Why Most Southern Baptists Can't Rightly Divide the Word-they do not study the Bible!  If they study anything it is denominational literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment