Is it OK for Grace Believers Eat "Easter Eggs?"

     Easter Sunday will be here on April 17, 2022.  I do not know of any believer (even those that fail to rightly divide) that thinks bunnies or eggs have anything to do with the resurrection of Christ.  However, you will hear a bunch of "Christians" and preachers complaining about bunnies and eggs as if there is some great emergency going on in the "church" because of this.  I hate to say this but you will even hear Grace Believers carried away with this nonsensical complaining.  My position is that although these traditions are pagan in origin nobody is equating these things with the resurrection of Christ.  Simply put kids just think it is fun to hunt eggs and eat chocolate bunnies.  When I was a kid I hunted eggs and ate chocolate bunnies, not because I wanted to worship some false god named "Ishtar," but because I wanted to find the prize egg and eat candy. I never knew who "Ishtar" was until I was a grown man and heard people complaining about parents allowing their kids to worship this false god by hunting eggs etc.  I can understand all the denominational preachers and "Christians" getting caught up in all the complaining about "Easter," but I don't understand the Grace Believers doing so?  These complaints are simply a form of legalism that Paul spoke of in Col 2:21 ( Touch not; taste not; handle not;). If you do not want your kids eating candy eggs or chocolate bunnies, then it is your right as a parent to forbid it.  However, I do not appreciate my liberty in Christ to allow my children fun at Easter to be equated with the worship of "Ishtar."  

     The answer to the question of Easter eggs and bunnies should be settled like Grace Believers claim to settle all other matters.  Consider what our apostle (Paul) has to say about such matters!  I know of one deceased grace preacher that used to say you could not be a "Mid Acts King Jame Bible-Believing Pauline Dispensationalist" if you took part in things like Easter, Christmas, etc.  My question to those that share this conviction is where in Paul's writings do you find such teaching?  My position on Easter eggs and bunnies is based on what our apostle says in 1 Corinthians 8:4-8:

[4] As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
[5] For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
[6] But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
[7] Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
[8] But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

     Did you get what Paul just said above?  He says you can eat food even if it was offered in a worship service to an idol!  No food or lack of food under grace commends us to God.  We are not better or worse spiritually based on our diet.  In light of this scripture I take the position my children and I can eat Easter eggs and bunnies because we do not eat them as a thing offered to an idol but we eat them for enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment